Sunday, February 28, 2010

Designing a Candy Buffet

Candy Buffets are my favorite wedding accessory, there is just so much you can do with one. Looking for a way to opt out of serving alcohol but don't want your guests to get bored during "cocktail hour" while you are posing for pictures and switching over settings from the ceremony to the reception? Are you seeking a keepsake that's fun and affordable? Trying to find another way to tie in your theme? Try a Candy Buffet.
I am working on putting together some ideas for a candy buffet so I thought I would take you along with me on my thought process for the ride. Scary, I know!
First, I scoured the web for images that had captured certain aspects of the buffet that I envision. I came across the following and I will highlight what I would like to take from each image and incorporate in the buffet that I am planning.



I envision the buffet being awe inspiring, theatrical so there will need to be elements that create drama other than the typical candy filled jars. I like the fact that this candy buffet added dimension by adding layers of height by way of displaying candy on different levels and using the flowers at the top to add height and color. The picture of the couple is a nice center piece for the display table. I would want to bring those aspects to the buffet.



The key to the buffet that I am planning is to be able to entertain guests during cocktail hour, so a nice variety of candy, rather than all pink M&M's in a jar or silver kisses would be ideal. I also think it would be a good idea for the candy to enlist memories from times past and that's why I think the look of an old school candy store would be nice to incorporate in the fashion below to a degree. I would definitely upgrade the jars to have the nice silver knobbed lids opposed to the plastic ones below (Tip: They sell them at Target and Wal-mart for a great price).



I love the apothecary style jars and would definitely consider using this style. It's classy and elegant and they come is variety of sizes. I also like the fact that I could use ribbon to tie in the colors/theme.


The idea is for the buffet to be elegant yet fun and memorable but not break the bank, one way to keep the budget intact would be to opt for cellophane or paper candy bags and stick a monogram sticker on the bag. I can find these kinds of bags 50-100 in a package at any dollar store and with a nicely designed sticker attached no one would know the difference, and since its candy they are likely to eat during cocktail hour or shortly thereafter not really reasonable to put to much money into cute boxes to get trashed. Although I could go with a mini glass candy jar if I want them to have a permanent piece of memorabilia.

A banner or sign behind the buffet is a must have. The one displayed here is super cute and simple. I love the saying "Because love is sweet" so I would opt for that or the one below "Love, Sweet Love"


I also think the linen can make or break a candy buffet, if you are going with a few colors of candy tone the linen down, but if you are finding that your candy choices are more monochromatic then go with a more colorful linen perhaps a pattern or something whimsical like polka dots or the old fashioned red and white stripes for that authentic old school feel.

Once I am able to tie all the elements of above together and design a layout I am going to move on to pricing out the buffet. Candy is expensive so the sooner you start looking the more opportunities you have to catch sales, especially candy left over after Valentines Day because they will fit more into the "Wedding" theme.
From those pictures alone I have pretty much developed what I want my buffet to look like

No comments:

Post a Comment